SCOM is the leading mobile network in Gilgit Baltistan and Azad Kashmir but it is still a strange and new name for other citizens of the country. Back in 2012, SCOM made a contract with Zong and Ufone and now it is offering its coverage throughout the country via roaming. Apart from fascinating call and SMS packages, the mobile network is offering a reliable GPRS Internet for its subscribers. For several people, SCOM internet setting is a tough task, so I have come up with this tutorial to help you how you can setup a GPRS Internet account on either your mobile phone or PC.
SCOM Internet Settings for Mobile Phones
Below is the SCOM Internet setting tutorial for different mobile phone brands. Don’t give any username or password for the connection. Leave these fields empty for all.
For Nokia Phones:
- Go to Settings
- Choose “Connectivity>Packet Data>Edit Active Access point”
- In “Alias” field, write scomgb if you are living in Gilgit Baltistan, or write scointernet if you are accessing the Internet via SCOM in Azad Kashmir
- Save settings
For LG Brands:
- Go to Settings>Connectivity>Access Point
- Add a new access point
- In connection title, write SCO or any other name for your connection
- In bearer field, choose GPRS
- In APN, write scomgb if you are in Gilgit Baltistan or scointernet if you are in Azad Kashmir
- Set the packet data connection to “When Needed” to avoid any balance loss
For China Mobile Phones:
- Got to main menu
- Choose Web>Services>Data Account and add a new account
- In account name, write SCO or any other title of your choice
- In APN, write scomgb or scointernet according to your location
- Save the data account
- Now to Settings, choose the SIM and then select “Edit Account”
- Choose the data account which you have created earlier
For Sony Ericson Phones:
- Go to main menu
- Go to Settings>Data Comm>Data Account and add a new account
- In APN, write scomgb or scointernet
- Leave the DNS field empty or write 0.0.0
- Now again go to Settings>Internet Settings>Internet Profile and add a new profile
- Name it SCO and choose the APN which you have created earlier
- In last step, go to Internet Settings>Internet Profile>More>Settings and select SCO under “Connect Using” option
To connect to the Internet via SCOM in your PC, install the PC suite of your concerned phone first and then change the name of access point (APN) to scomgb if you are in Gilgit Baltistan or scointernet if you are living in Azad Kashmir. Use *99# as dialup number and don’t give any username or password for the connection.
These were the basic steps to setup your mobile phone for using SCOM mobile Internet. If you need any further help, ask me in comments or visit the official website of SCO at http://www.sco.gov.pk/Support/support.html for more help and troubleshooting.